Life on the WSU campus one-hundred years ago was quite different. Here on “Campus Day 1914″ the “co-ed carpenters” doing their part to spruce-up the campus.
The construction of St Gall Church, Colton. The cornerstone for the brick church was blessed by Fr. Frei on 13 August 1905 and the completed Church’s first Mass was officiated by Bishop Edward O’Dea on Saturday, 2 June 1906. This is the only picture, known to the Historical Society, of the construction; if you know of another, please share it with us.
We first published this image of Chester Knotts on August 19, 2013. Later, we discovered an article about Chester Knotts in the September 29, 1966, Pullman Herald. Click here to read the article. Chester Knotts
Andrew Black, 2014 graduate of WSU with a degree in Digital Technology and Culture, was awarded the Society’s Distinguished Service Award in appreciation of his many volunteer hours at the Roy Chatters Newspaper & Printing Museum in Palouse. Andrew served as tour guide and spent many hours cleaning and organizing printing materials, getting equipment functional, and creating interpretive signs. Making the presentation is Janet Barstow, museum director.
This magnificent First Christian Church on Maple Street was dedicated on June 11, 1905. By 1914 the wooden Presbyterian Church had been replaced by the Greystone church. The red brick paving of Maple Street was installed in 1912-13. The Christian Church was merged in 1931 with the Greystone Presbyterians. In 1945 the Christian Church building was sold to the Methodists, who replaced the upper stories with the structure used first for the Wesley Foundation and then, after more remodeling, for Whitman County Health Department.
If readers have any more information about this building please post a comment below.
Courtesy of Wally Friel
A baseball team
There is no record of a Pullman High School baseball team prior to 1948. In the spring of 1946, Wally Friel organized a team composed of Pullman 8th and 9th graders. They practiced faithfully, often coached by Jack Friel, putting in hours of batting and infield practice. The team scrimmaged against a group of fellows who were trying to start a town team. No score was kept.
Previous attempts at forming an American Legion team had failed. The Legion furnished equipment and Jack Friel agreed to coach. There were two good turnouts, and thereafter only three prospects showed up for the third. The rest had gone haying. This was odd, for it did not happen to other towns the size of Pullman.
The success of FRIEL’S EELS began in the spring of 1947. Tobe Sanders, the WSU equipment manager, donated old Cougar uniforms. Wally Friel bought the socks and hats. His mother, Catherine, sewed on the emblems. The green trim was the used pool table felt from the City Club. Finally pitcher/manager Wally Friel lined up a schedule to play local teams. A good Palouse team won two from the EELS, who had never faced a left handed pitcher. The Colton team won the County B tournament that year, but the EELS beat them twice. A win over the Moscow Legion team gave the EELS a winning season. These were all away games.
A new coach, Cliff Moffitt, came to Pullman. He offered to coach baseball and the administration agreed. FRIEL’S EELS uniforms were used for practice. The 1948 PHS baseball team enjoyed moderate success in the first season; all of the EELS played. By 1949, the Greyhounds improved greatly. They completed their season with a record of 7 wins and 5 losses including two wins each over Clarkston and Palouse and victories over Endicott and Moscow. The thrill of the year was a win in a split with the Cougar freshman team.